So, engine colar system...

Discussion in 'Naval Play Discussion' started by Locko1997, Jan 13, 2017.

?

Do you like the idea?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I would change some thing(s)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Locko1997

Locko1997 Member
    Server Administrator

Was formerly called engine system and i'm sure all of you already heard about it, after anime's suggestion was changed to engine collar system because it's more accurate to represent what it really does!

Now besides my bad sence of humor, i'll try to explain the engine system i've been working on.

So basicaly, this so called engine system ( or collar system ) consists of a spawnable entity, which we weld in the middle of the boat and after pressing E on it, returns ship's stats and you sail according to them.

Engine system? This means that it will make our ship move?

Not at all! This is only intended to measure your ship stats.

Ship stats? What do you mean?
    It means that engines will now set our maximun speed, maximun turning speed, and maximum armament allowed according to our ship shape. Also checks for boats being past the minimum 4x7x1 size.

So now, instead of moderators judging if a vessel is legal or not, we would have this enforced by code making moderator life a bit easier, and game more balanced.

How does this works?

We have 3 different stats to be set:
    • Maximum Speed
      • Checks for ship size and the lenght/width ratio. This meaning that long and thin boats will be faster than fat and short boats.
      • Also means that we would finaly have light ships that could go above 15 mph making combat more intresting
    • Maximun Turning Speed
      • Checks for ship size and the lenght. Meaning that long boats will turn slower than short boats
    • Maximun Armament
      • Checks the ship size and assigns a determinated amount of points to be spent on the ship.
      • With this we could have a limit bigger than our 16 cannon current limit.

Point system? Sounds complicated

Point system is very simple. Each different weapon will have a different point cost, so you can arrange your boat how ever you like, as long as you dont use more points that your boat is able to.

For example, right now boat points are like this:​

• Cannons: 1 point
    • 50cal MG Turret: 2 points
    • Flak Turret: 5 points

What happens if i excede my stats?
    As soon as you excede your engine maximum speed / turning rate your engine will start to stress. After a short period, your engine will fail breaking your ship. The good thing is that if you stop exceeding your stats, the engine will lose stress.

I still have to determine what happens when you excede the point limit. My main idea was to make ship slower for each point, then if minimum speed cap was reached, lower the cannon fire rate. To punish this excess of armament.

Is it exploitable?
    Wouldnt be gmod if not! As all stuff it has it's flaws, but i think it's a good way to balance boat fights.

When will this be ready?

Let's first start by saying that this is a work in progress, and might never been added. Then i can tell you this is already in it's first stages of testing and right now it's admin only in the server. It still needs a lot of tweaking, feedback, bug fixing, and some other stuff. But the important part is that the basics are done and Altair is willing to help to improve this system and luckily some day i'll see it on the server.

Can i help somehow?

At the moment your thoughts are the most important thing for me. Suggestions are always welcome!

I also have to say that part of this was taken from privateers code, which had a more simple aproach than mine to do this.

2. Xillenn

Xillenn New Member

Why not, guess my mingy boats are rip now