The Variety Ship Idea

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod Discussion' started by Yew, Nov 25, 2016.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. Yew

Yew Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

Just skip to the end if you don't want to read this entire thing.
    The Variety Ship Idea

Hello forums! I have been on the server for awhile and the Limits on ship build is a bit.... constricting sometimes. For example, say if I wanted to build a bomber plane, like this one. Or a Recon boat that's harmless, but can run circles around battleships. Well, my solution will be an easy and balanced way to make sure this all stays fair for everyone.

The Re-Vamped Contraption Tool
    I decided that the best way to do this is by re-doing the contraption tool, in a such way that instead of having the bland options of just Blimp, Plane, Ship, And Submarine. Instead of those being the types of ship, they should be the categories of contraption selection, For example, You pick the category of Plane, the sub-groups of plane could be Bomber, Scout, Fighter, Jet, Passenger, so on so fourth. It would be balanced because depending on what contraption type you set your ship as, depend on what the game will allow to be used on that, like a bomber could have, lets say, 6 bombs, but it can't have any machineguns. Or a scout could have an increased speed limit of like 40mph, but can't have weapons. So in all, it would add subgroups to each contraption type, Each subgroup restricts what that contraption can have on it, and how fast it can go for more flexibility on what you can build.

Because I have Developed servers in the past, and I used to make addons, If you chaps are interested, I will start working on this amazing idea for implementation to the server, although it may require a bit of trust on the servers end because I would probably have to get the speed limit code and the current contraption tool code.

2. Locko1997

Locko1997 Member
    Server Administrator

This was already suggested a long ago, and it touches similar points to my own engine thread. I started coding it yesterday but i'm not very good at lua at the moment, i still need to learn a lot of things

3. Tzatziki

Tzatziki Member
    Server Administrator

Since Locko has already started coding, why don't you give him a hand and help him with his lua?

4. Locko1997

Locko1997 Member
    Server Administrator

I dont have anything usefull actually, and altair told me sernikb it's on that too

5. Yew

Yew Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

I know sernikb made a neat ship health entity, and I would help locko, but he is using tables and loops, and I hate tables and loops :3. And I still think my ideas the best still :D

6. Locko1997

Locko1997 Member
    Server Administrator

Well, i'm making some progress now that altair showed me the way. I think that i'll have some prototype soon :)

Tzatziki likes this.
  7. Raptorblade

Raptorblade Donator
    Donator

Remember to update the trello.