Some issue(s) i'd like to address about the server.

Discussion in 'Naval Play Discussion' started by Fuzzy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Clan Member
    Clan Member

Keep in mind, I know it's in beta, i'm just addressing these for the future.

Ok, now let me start. I don't mean to rant. I am just trying to address some problems that could be improved.
    1. There is no reason to fight. Sure, you can spend countless amounts of hours building a ship, when it's done you suddenly realize your all alone at sea. Sailing into NOWHERE. I think the gameplay mechanics need a MAJOR update. Oil is practically worth nothing, forget about going there unless you need to scrounge up some money for just only cannons and machine guns. Cannons and MGs that you will quite possibly never use. Maybe we could build a custom map, where we can capture different islands and whoever has the most islands wins in a matter of time, sort of like a minigame. Yeah, that's it, we could incorporate minigames into the gamemode. To get people fightin'!

2. Maybe some way we could know about the development?

3. Lack of a balancing system. The current balancing system is broken. Often I see 7 people in one faction with 3 in the other, and so forth.
    4. Some majorly useful tools are restricted to staff members, such as parent and multiparent. These would help greatly in build to prevent the server from crashing to virtually making a contraption impossible to have a seizure, and i'll be honest, i've crashed the server by accident from a glitching out ship or so. (I do bad welding jobs.) Like I said, this would make it easier.

MINOR THINGS---------------------------------------
    1. There isn't really alot to do, I'm not saying I don't have fun. I usually have a blast.
    But the blast kind of dwindles after a few hours.

I know this isn't all, Anyways, my intentions were not to spark anything, or diss the server. Thanks!

2. Altair

Altair Buoyancy Sucks
    Server Administrator

Parenting is broken and can't be used like it used to a year ago.

3. Raptorblade

Raptorblade Donator
    Donator

I wouldn't worry about the team balance, it's rare for an entire team to be out at sea at once.

Here's the real underlying problem with naval:
    [​IMG]

Captain Barry, Tzatziki and Locko1997 like this.
  4. Locko1997

Locko1997 Member
    Server Administrator

I think that i never seen the problem so well explained

5. FPSRUSSIA70

FPSRUSSIA70 New Member

If we made a bigger map its going to take along time to load the server and it will be lagy

6. Locko1997

Locko1997 Member
    Server Administrator

Not actually, MAP is loaded clientside. You load the gamemode server side and that's what takes most of the time.

Also our map is currently in the max allowed size by source engine, so we cant make it bigger even if we wanted to.

FPSRUSSIA70 likes this.
  7. FPSRUSSIA70

FPSRUSSIA70 New Member

8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Clan Member
    Clan Member

Actually I've been experimenting with the hammer editor trying to create the illusion of a bigger map, with more islands and stuff.

9. Locko1997

Locko1997 Member
    Server Administrator

Using skyboxes right? Someone suggested to shrink the game with a script ( players, props, etc.) Then shrink part of the map accordingly and we would have twice a bigger map

10. Lemon Pledge

Lemon Pledge Clan Member
    Clan Member

The solution to this would be to offer ships in the harbor store (WIP i believe).

To offer the people who know little about building.
    1. Sell a basic mini oil/fishing boat for ~50-100 gold + (cost of fishing nets) to "always" be available for income gathering
    2. Sell Bigger boats "T1 -> T3" for a reasonable amount
    Ships sold Trough adding an ADV_dupe or something of the sort so no need for creating an actual entity.
    This means you could quickly adress balancing issues and boat selection. (Perhaps diffrent ones on weekends etc)

The boats should be fairly underpowered due to ease of access. They should be simple, yet look good. And ofcourse be built masterly.

Effect:

This would add more ships on the ocean and at the same time remove many the dreadful ships that cause lag and seldom adher to the rules of size and firepower.

And i am more than sure that we have plenty of people who would love to help create these simple ships, myself included.
    (Back in the day of Naval 1 when i was Admin, i used to hand out these type of dupes for this exact purpose.)

11. Captain Barry

Captain Barry Toby Larone
    Server Administrator

A lot of us would like to see a platform where we could sell our ships easily, but as with all development it takes time. Especially when your developers work out of their own free time. That's even if sernik or altair decide they would like to make this feature at all

12. Lemon Pledge

Lemon Pledge Clan Member
    Clan Member

I completly understandable. This was just my 2-cents on how to solve some of the "emptyness" & save some server calculations due to porly built vessels.

p.s: I did not mean for people to sell their own ships, more like the server sells a select few.

13. Captain Barry

Captain Barry Toby Larone
    Server Administrator

Either way those select few ships would have to be built first. Why not give players who make decent ships an opportunity to make some money? Adding a dupe selling feature for authorised players (people who have shown they build non-laggy dupes) would be much more engaging than being stuck to the same 5 default contraptions

14. «☣BIGMAC☣»™

«☣BIGMAC☣»™ New Member

we use to have this back in the day i rember for alittle we had it